Monday, March 28, 2011

Quick Quest(s)

This week, while not too heavy on official WQ business, was definitely a record breaker on the Quick Quest front. On Friday, March 25 th , I went down to the Adobe Cafe on Passyunk in South Philly for a celebratory dinner/gathering. Generally regarded as a “Mexican” restaurant, Adobe Cafe received mixed reviews on the various sites I researched before heading down there, none of which made mention of their wings. What I learned from the reviews was that this is the type of place people either love or hate and after visiting the Adobe Cafe, I can see why. The place has only one real kind of wing, Texas Ranchero. They also offer Texas Ranchero Seitan (some vegan crap) wings, which whatever; I like vegan/vegetarian food, but I really don't understand how a vegan wing is supposed to work. Is there like a paper mache bone inside of the fake chicken goop? Whatever. Apparently, they were running a special on their wings that night for $.30 a wing, normally they’re $7 an order. Not really knowing what to expect from a “Texas Ranchero” wing, I just blindly ordered a shit ton of them cause I was hungry. The wings themselves are coated in a dark brown glaze and served with ranch dressing, which I guess explains the “ranchero” bit. One might get the impression from the brown glaze that they’d be in for some sort of BBQ sauce, but that's not necessarily the case. In fact, I’m not really sure what the hell I would describe the sauce as. It was a sticky glaze that had some semblance of sweetness but was instantly demolished by a surge of cayenne pepper which, if you know cayenne pepper, doesn't really have a taste, just a burn. So what you taste is pretty much nothing or maybe that's just what brown tastes like, I don’t know. And trying to save them by dipping them in ranch dressing is an even bigger mistake because just thinking about the combo of brown and ranch is making me sick to my stomach. The wings themselves were of moderate size, lots of crispy basket hangers and whatnot, but nothing resembling a saving grace could be found in these wings other than the $.30 price tag which, after eating the wings, even seems a bit steep. So overall I give these wings a rating of 3 because they were cheap, but unappetizing.

Saturday, March 26 th however, was a much better day to be me on a Quick Quest. I had stopped by the Great American Pub and Restaurant on Street road in Bensalem for a business meeting, and while I waited, I ordered some wings. The Great American has two kinds of wings, hot and BBQ. I ordered the hot wings, which at $7 or $8, I can’t remember, for twelve wings isn’t so bad. The hot sauce is totally a Frank’s and butter mix and is very lightly applied to the wings, almost as if the wings are coated in the sauce first, then baked. The wings are pretty large and really meaty. Served with bleu cheese and celery, these wings really hit the spot for me. I’m willing to go so far as to say that these could potentially be one of the better bar wings I’ve had, not as a contender in the official Quest, but if I was drunk and wanted wings, this is where I’d want to be. Overall, I’d give these wings a solid 7.

Reviews by Tom Kaericher
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say, I completely disagree with your Adobe scoring. Ten wings for $3, should hold more weight, and the crispyness beats out the watery ranch. Also the sauce isn't too bad. You might have had an especially spicy batch.

    ReplyDelete